Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Benediction.

Every Sunday morning, after he delivers the sermon and the worship team plays one last song, Pastor Walt Barrett will once again take to the microphone to deliver a benediction—a final word, a final blessing for the congregation to keep in its collective mind as they set back out into "the real world." And every Sunday, no matter what the sermon was about, no matter how good the music was, and no matter how many friends I get to talk to, I most look forward to the benediction. Because, as I say everytime Walt wraps up, "I loves me a good benediction."

Because I love this particular one so much, I emailed Walt and asked him if he could transcribe it and email it to me, so that I can read it anytime I need some peace of mind. With everything in my life being as it is right now, I need these words more than ever:

"Now go into the world in peace, have courage, hold on to what is good, honor all men, strengthen the fainthearted, support the weak, help the suffering, restore the wandering. Love and serve the Lord in the power of the Holy Spirit, and may the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all.

Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment